Monday, November 12, 2007

Gabriel García Márquez


For many people, myself included, when I hear the name Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I think of the long hours I spent in my high school English class. Bad memories of short stories with poetic undertones have always been my association with Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Recently though, my opinions had changed.

The 1985 novel Love in the Time of Cholera has recently become chosen to be a part of Oprah's Book Club; in turn becoming a national best seller almost instantly. Even more recently, the film has been made into a film and is set to be released soon.


Although beginning starting his career as a journalist, it did not take long to transition to writing novels and short poetry. His first major success was the novel One Hundred Years of Solitude, as it was cited as a reason for his Nobel Prize in literature when it was awarded to him in 1972.


Over 30 years after his Nobel Prize, the work of Gabriel Garcia Marquez is still widely popular. The film Love in the Time of Cholera is set to be released on November 16, 2007.



The film is directed by Mike Newell and it is the first major English-language film adaptation of a novel by Garcia Marquez. Filmed in Colombia, it follows a love triangle spanning over 50 years that restarts when one of the members tragically dies.

With actors such as John Leguizamo and Benjamin Bratt, and numerous songs on the soundtrack by Shakira (who shares a hometown with Gabriel Garcia Marquez), it is not surprising many are predicting the film to be a success.


After viewing trailers for the film, I went to Barnes & Noble to get a copy of the book to read before I see the movie. It turns out that Gabriel Garcia Marquez isn't as boring as I thought and my associations I have with him and the word 'boring' are quickly disappearing.

No comments: